Lund Park

Lund Park Wesleyan Chapel War Memorial Board

Currently in the care of Cliffe Castle Museum, Keighley.
The chapel closed (believed to be in April 1970) and as far as we know the window was lost when the building was demolished.


Lund Park Wesleyan Chapel war memorial board

Lund Park Wesleyan Chapel war memorial board


Great War plaque made from bronze or brass, with an incised inscription in black lettering. Not mounted on a board or in a frame.
Names on memorial: 16 Died. 74 Served and returned.


Inscription reads:

1914 TO THE GLORY OF GOD 1918

AND IN HONOURED MEMORY OF THIS CHURCH WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR AND IN GRATITUDE FOR THE SAFETY OF THE MEN AND WOMEN WHO SERVED AND RETURNED, THIS WINDOW IS DEDICATED

RETURNED

Anderson, J.
Anderson, T.
Atkinson, E
Bailey, E
Bailey, W. A.
Baxendall, W.
Binns, Sarah
Binns, B.
Binns, John
Binns, Joseph
Bland, W.
Booth, R. L.
Bottomley, B.

Bottomley, J. H.
Bottomley, J. W.
Brooke, E.
Brooke, J. E.
Brown, A.
Brown, F.
Budd, B.
Campbell, F.
Crossley, J.
Crowther, E.
Crowther, W.
Dacre, R.

Daniels, J.
Dewhirst, J. M.
Dobbs, J. H.
Driver, F.
Driver, H.
Hargreaves, C.
Harker, J.
Haygarth, H.
Holt, E.
Judson, Bessie
Judson, A.
Judson, H.
Lambert, G.

FALLEN

Clapham, Thomas
Dickinson, Harry K.
Harrison, James
Holmes, Thomas
Lambert, Walter
Midgley, Gilbert H.
Northrop, John
Pickles, Harry
Raw, John T.
Shuttleworth, Riley
Southam, Alfred
Stoney, Jonas
Throup, Harry
Ward, Edgar
Wilson, Chris M. (died 1920)
Hall, Ernest (died 1921)

RETURNED

Leach, A.
Lee, T. G.
Lister, H.
Lockwood, J. T.
Lockwood, G.
Lockwood, M.
Lottey, F.
Melrose, J.
Miller, H.
Moore, A.
Moore, J.
Moore, P.
Padley, H.

Perigo, J.
Petty, B.
Rothera, J.
Rothera, T.
Royston, H. J.
Sharp, J. W.
Shuttleworth, Frank
Shuttleworth, Fred
Spencer, F.
Stowell, H. W.
Suckling, W.
Sunderland, J. R.

Sunderland, W.
Tattersall, J.
Tidswell, W.
Walmsley, E.
Ward, R.
Wheater, H.
Whitaker, A.
Williamson, H. M.
Wilson, E.
Wilson, J. H. F.
Wilson, R.
Winders, N.
Wright, H.


The unveiling ceremony was carried out on 24th April 1922 by local clergy and dignitaries.
Keighley News report 9th September 1994.
The associated memorial stained glass window is detailed below.

Lund Park Wesleyan Chapel War Memorial Window (Lost)

The chapel closed (believed to be in April 1970) and as far as we know the window was lost when the building was demolished.


Lund Park Wesleyan Chapel war memorial window

Lund Park Wesleyan Chapel war memorial window


Original location: in Lund Park Wesleyan Chapel (demolished), Malsis Road, Keighley.
Physical Description: Stained glass window with figures depicted in it. The window depicts the ascent of our Lord with eleven apostles standing around him. Designed by H. J. Salisbury Ltd.
Report appears in the Keighley News of 29th April 1922.
It commemorates the parishioners of this chapel who died in the Great War, and those who returned, and complemented the memorial board which listed the names of the men.

No Comments Yet.

Leave a comment

Please verfiy you are not a computer program by answering the following question to submit your comment *