Marlborough Street Congregational Mission war memorial board
This war memorial board is currently in the care of Cliffe Castle Museum, Keighley.
Description: Oak board with carved trefoil moulding and carved leaf decoration at top.
Incised lettering in gold paint, (intertwined initials meaning Marlborough Street Congregational Mission) list of names of those who died, and those who returned:
IN MEMORY OF
IN HONOUR OF
John Hy Fowlds
THEIR NAME ENDURETH
Text from Vale and Dale website used by kind permission of Loraine Petyt:
Marlborough Street Congregational Mission Church
A daughter church of Devonshire Street, built at the junction of Marlborough Street and Brown Street.
The first service was held on 16th August 1883 and the last service held on 30th April 1961. Prayer meetings were started in the mid 1870's at 50 Marlborough Street. An initiative of Mr. Ramsden, a draper in Low Street. It was around 1882 that the congregation came to the attention of Sir John Brigg, with his support and backing a church was built.
This building is now used by The Sangat Centre.
There is also a reference to this church in the London Gazette:
A Separate Building, duly certified for religious worship, named CONGREGATIONAL MISSION, situated at Marlborough street, in the civil parish of Keighley, in the county of York, West Riding, in Keighley registration district, was, on the 31st October, 1907, registered for solemnizing marriages therein, pursuant to 6th and 7th Wm. IV, c. 85. - Dated the 2nd November, 1907. 071 GEO. E. SPENCER,-Superintendent Registrar.