VAD Harriet King

Voluntary Aid Detachment page

Red Cross, St John Ambulance Brigade and Royal Army Medical Corpsbadges

Harriet King


Harriet Hall was born on 30th July 1878 in Killamarsh, Derbyshire, and baptised on 1st September that year.

The baptism record for Harriet Hall

Her parents were William, a miner and Margaret Hall nee Turner. She had nine older siblings, two of whom died before she was born (Alfred, 1865-1877 and Joseph, 1875-1876).

Her mother must have died very young, as on the 1881 census when Harriet was two years old, her father is described as a widower. They lived on Green Lane in Killamarsh. William worked as a coal miner, as did her 20 year old brother George and 13 year old brother John. Her other siblings were Mary (also 13), Frances Margaret (11), William (8), Harry (6) and James (4). George was married to Annie and had a three month old son, Alfred, who also lived with them.

The Hall family on the 1881 census

The family still lived on Green Lane in 1891, William had not married again and was now working as a bricklayer's labourer. John was still a coal miner, Harry a metal pipe moulder and James a coal miner trapper. Frances and Harriet were still at home but not working.

Still at Green Lane in 1901, this time the number is given as 22. William's occupation is not legible, James and a 17 year old grandson were working in the coal mine, 22 year old Harriet wasn't working.

Harriet moved away from home some time after 1901. In 1911 she was living at Heath Cottage in Eldwick, working as a servant for John William Stansfield, a head teacher, and his family.

On 30th November 1914 Harriet married Ernest Aaron King, a farmer and brewer of Tarn House in Keighley. They married at All Saints Church in Bingley. Her father was described as deceased by then. Ernest's father was Aaron King, of Aaron King & Co who had a brewery house on Cook Lane, before moving to the Knowle Spring Brewery and their pubs included the Angel Inn on High Street, the Sun Inn on North Street and many which are still there today including The Marquis of Granby in Riddlesden and The Turkey at Goose Eye. They ceased brewing in 1958.

The marriage of Harriet Hall and Ernest Aaron King

Harriet worked as a housekeeper at Spencer Street Auxiliary Hospital from May 1915 until May 1916, working for three hours per day without taking a salary.

The electoral registers show Harriet and Ernest living on Highfield Lane for a few years, though by 1939 lived at Tarnlea on Wrexham Road in Burley-in-Wharfedale.

The Kings shown on the 1939 Register

I don't believe they had any children.

Ernest died on 8th August 1945, Harriet died on 26th August 1963 while still living at Tarnlea. Both are buried at Utley Cemetery.


England and Wales, Civil Registration Birth Index, 1837-1915

Derbyshire, England, Church of England Births and Baptisms, 1813-1916

1881 England Census

1891 England Census

1901 England Census

1911 England Census

West Yorkshire, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1813-1935

West Yorkshire, England, Electoral Registers, 1840-1962

1939 England and Wales Register

England and Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1916-2007

England and Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1995


Comments are closed.